Sunday, August 11, 2013

The green gram instant dosa

 Every time someone asks me, "what did you have today for dinner?", I used to answer "Dosa..." or "Idli"! I got fed up with this reply. So I started looking for other interesting options. I googled and found out this "Pesarattu" to be such an alternative.

Also, I guess this is a nice and a simple substitute for all those dosa lovers. The best part is, it is an instant dish unlike dosa, where you wait for the fermentation.

Here is how you make it:

1.Take 3 cups of green gram (Paasi paruppu) and 1 cup of raw rice (Pachai arisi) and soak them separately in water for 1-2 hrs.

2.Take this soaked gram and rice along with 5-7 green chillies, a 2 inch piece ginger, salt and required water and grind it into a fine batter in a mixie.

3. Add cumin seeds/ powder to the batter.

4. Spread it on the tawa like dosa with required oil. The batter spreads out nicely.

Tasty, healthy, crisp pesarattu ready!
Serve with chutney of choice.
Simple, is it not?

Note: 
1. 3:1 is the ratio of gram and rice. Since the batter can't be stored for long, you can make lesser amount as required.  I made it in the night and stored the excess batter till next day in refrigerator. The amount of batter from 3 cups of gram and 1 cup of rice could be enough for some 16-20 pesarattu.

2. My mom's friend said that in the original pesarattu procedure, only pepper corns and salt are added to the batter (and not chilly and ginger). One could try that.

3. I preferred it plain, however, you can have interesting toppings like onions or grated coconut to make it more interesting!


No comments:

Post a Comment