Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Main nahin maakhan kayo........

I love this Surdas bhajan "Main nahin makhan khayo"!
When Yashoda Maa catches Little Krishna red-handed, when he is stealing butter, she asks Krishna, "why did you steal the butter and eat?", Krishna says, "Maiya Main nahin Maakhan Khayo...." (Maa, I did not eat the butter) and little Krishna establishes that he did not eat the butter.
He justifies his point by giving explanations:
First he says,
1) I return after grazing the cows only late in evening, where is the time for eating Butter?
When Maa does not agree to this argument, he says
2) I am such a small boy, I have small hands, and you have hung the butter at such high place, how can I take and eat butter from there?
When Maa does not agree to this also,
3)He says, the Gopis are keen in complaining about Him to her and so they deliberately applied butter on his face so that he is caught.
Then, he tries other smart tactics....
4)Little krishna tries to flatter his Maa by his sweet words.
Now also Yashoda Maa is unhappy.
5)So now, Little Krishna shows a little anger and says "tomorrow onwards I will not go for grazing the cows"
Then also when Maa shows anger,
6)He says something which no mother can listen...He says "You are my step-mother, which is why you are blaming me like this."

Now, Maa is unable to listen to such big words just for a butter, so she says, "Kanhaiya, Te nahin maakhan kayo" (Krishna, you did not eat the butter.)

Now that Maa has accepted and Krishna won the argument, He again now says, "Maiya...Mai ne hi Maakhan kayo." (Maa, I only ate the butter).
Surdas ji's play with words (Main Nahin & Mai Ne Hi) is the speciality of this bhajan!

Listen to this bhajan rendered by Anup jalota: Surdas bhajan- Main nahin maakhan kayo

Sometimes HIS ways are so strange that, first He makes you deny certain thing, then He makes you agree with the same thing that too by making you give up your arguments, ego etc. Then He again tells you, "Oh, forget it, you don't have to agree to it"and makes you deny it again!!!!" STRANGE ARE HIS WAYS! But I strongly believe there are strong and valid reasons to HIS ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment